The Yezhov File (IV)
Chief, 3rd Special Section NKVD
Colonel, comrade Panyushkin
1. During the search of the desk in Yezhov's office, I discovered in one of the drawers an open package with the letterhead Secretariat NKVD, addressed to TsK VKP(b), comrade Yezhov. In the package was found four bullets (three from the cartridges for a Nagan pistol, and one, apparently, for a Colt revolver).
The bullets were split from being fired. Each bullet was wrapped in paper with the words Zinoviev, Kamenev and Smirnov written on each in pencil, with the paper saying Smirnov wrapped around two bullets. Apparently, these bullets were sent to Yezhov after the executions of Zinoviev, Kamenev and the other. I have taken possession of this package.
2. During the search, I took possession of a Walther pistol, No. 623573, caliber 6.35, and a Browning, caliber 6.35 No. 104799, which were hidden in different places behind books in the book cabinet. In the office desk, I discovered a Walther pistol, caliber 7.65, No. 777615, loaded, with a broken firing pin.
3. While searching the book shelf, behind books in various places were discovered 3 half-bottles (full) of wheat vodka, one half-bottle of vodka, half-emptied, and two empty half-bottles of vodka. They were apparently placed in various locations on purpose.
4. While searching through the books in the library, I discovered 115 books and brochures by counter-revolutionary authors, as well as books by White emigres, in both russian and foreign languages. The books were apparently sent to Yezhov through the NKVD. As the entire apartment has been sealed up by me, the indicated books remain in the office and have been collected in one location.
5. While conducting a search of Yezhov's dacha (sovkhoz Meshcherino) among other books by counter-revolutionary authors, being subject to seizure, were seized two hardbound books titled Concerning the counter-revolutionary Trotskyist-Zinovievite group. The books have a title page and typed text comprising 10-15 pages, with completely blank stitched paper comprising the rest of the volumes.
While conducting the search, various materials, papers, writings, letters and notes of a personal and party character, were discovered and seized according to the search order.
Assistant of the Chief,
3rd Special Section, NKVD
Captain, State Security
11 April 1939.